The Photographer's Ephemeris 3D
Intermediate | Advanced | iOS Only
Sun | Moon | Night | Landscape | Outdoor
Sunlight. Moonlight. Starlight.
The Photographer's Ephemeris 3D (TPE 3D) is a unique natural light visualization tool for outdoor and landscape photographers. It’s a map-centric Sun, Moon and Milky Way calculator: see how the light will fall on the land in 3D, day or night, for any location on earth.
Watch a sunrise from the future in a rich simulation of sunlight, moonlight and starlight set against the actual topography of your planned shooting location.
Need to see when the arch of the Milky Way will rise between two mountain peaks? Need to see what time in the afternoon the valley will lose direct light in September?
Watch the light unfold under clear skies hours, days, weeks or years before you’re actually there.
Who is it for?
TPE 3D was built for landscape photographers.
As landscape shooters, it's often mountainous terrain that exerts the strongest grip on our imaginations. Varied terrain interacts with natural light in striking ways which are often hard to predict.
TPE 3D lets you visualize this interaction in advance, allowing you to explore new shot, location and timings.
Time and opportunity is limited. Knowing that your shot plan gives you the light you want on your subject in advance is invaluable.
TPE 3D offers a unique combination of benefits for photographers:
- Sun, moon and stars are shown against a 3D model of the actual landscape: you can see if the moon is next to a specific mountain peak
- Controls for date, time of day and camera position are designed with photographers in mind: it’s easy to check the light for just the time you need
- Seeing the light against a topographic map makes it easy to interpret: satellite map images often have shadows ‘baked in’
- In enhanced mode, you can control the focal length of the camera, making TPE 3D useful as a guide to composition and lens selection
- 3D topographic maps with simple navigation options
- Sun, moon and galactic centre continuous timeline showing key rise, set and transit events
- Full search capability to find your location (or enter decimal or DMS coordinates directly)
- Automated playback to watch a realtime or faster-than-realtime simulation of the light
- Flying mode for quick movement around a scene
- Enhanced mode for maximum topography and shadow detail
- Direct elevation control for the 3D model camera
- Camera pitch and bearing indicators
- Moon phases are rendered accurately in the 3D scene
- Zoom in/out to equivalent 35mm focal length in enhanced mode
- Daily and annual events lists
- Shared location database with TPE
- Navigation and Artificial Highlights lighting modes
- Support for multiple map pins
- User settings for controlling scene complexity
- Compatible with our sister app TPE
- This app is CPU and graphics intensive: modern device models provide the best user experience
- Requires an internet connection
- Does not currently provide simulation of lighting during solar and lunar eclipses
- Satellite maps are not included
- Topographic data is available only between 83°N and 83°S: data may contain artifacts and errors
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions