TPE for Android
Beginner | Intermediate
Sun | Moon | Landscape | Outdoor | Travel | Architectural | Cityscape
Plan your light, simply
The Photographer’s Ephemeris (TPE) for Android helps you plan outdoor photography shoots.
TPE is a map-centric sun and moon calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, be it day or night, for almost anywhere on earth.
Ideal for landscape, nature, travel and outdoor photographers, TPE’s map-based approach means you can search for any place name on the planet or position the map pin exactly where you want it.
A simpler Experience
TPE for Android offers a simpler user experience than our more advanced apps, focussing on the key things you need to know for effective shot planning: the direction and timing of the sun and moon.
Despite the apparent simplicity of use, TPE for Android still packs plenty of more advanced features to explore, including offline maps, light pollution, geodetics, horizon adjustments and more.
- Time and direction of sunrise and sunset
- Time and direction of moonrise and moonset
- Phase of the moon and % illumination
- Times of civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- Graphical display on a map (Standard, Satellite, Hybrid, Terrain)
- Rotate and tilt the map for the optimal view
- Compass-based auto-rotation of the map
- Movable map pins – drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Compass display built-in for scouting in the field (on compatible devices)
- Search for locations by place name or enter coordinates directly
- Save any location you want – no fixed lists
- All features available in both portrait and landscape mode
- Does not require network connection for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Automatic time zone detection for any location on earth
- Determines elevation above sea level
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon for any time of day/night
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Import locations from KML files
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill
- Compensation for atmospheric refraction
- Compensation for elevation above the horizon
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection to function
- Locations outside ±80° latitude (very far north and south) are unsupported
- Map auto-rotate requires a compatible device (with magnetometer and accelerometer)