The Photographer's Transit
Intermediate | Advanced | iOS Only
DSLRs | Medium Format | Landscape | Outdoor | Travel | Architectural | Cityscape
Digital Shot Planning for Outdoor Photographers
The Photographer's Transit™ is a digital map-based shot planning tool for outdoor photographers shooting with interchangeable lens cameras.
- Plan the best possible camera, lens and shooting location using the sophisticated field of view visualization
- Detailed elevation profiles allow you to scout sight-lines virtually
- Check if your planned focal length will capture your subject
- Offline maps and elevation charts
- Share your shot plan easily with friends or colleagues
- Works with our sister app, The Photographer’s Ephemeris
Simulated Camera Control
Plan your shot by selecting camera and lens, then setting orientation, direction, pitch, height and focal length. Check your composition using built-in Google Street View™ camera.
- Take virtual control of the integrated Google Street View camera, to gain a remote view of your location*
- Set your camera direction, pitch and zoom directly using the touch-based Street View controls, or drive Street View using the simulated camera controls
- Photo Transit configures Street View to give an approximate match to your camera + lens field of view, so you can get a clear sense of what to expect when out in the field
* Where available
A Better Field of View
Photo Transit provides powerful field of view visualization tools that let you see what can be captured by your choice of camera and lens before you ever get on location.
- Horizontal field of view is overlaid on five different map types, including Google Standard, Hybrid and Terrain, Open Street Map and Open Cycle Map Topographic
- Move camera and subject pins to set up a shot
- Adjust orientation and focal length to see the effective field of view
- Vertical field of view is shown in the powerful elevation and altitude charts: going far beyond a simple elevation profile, these charts show you how visibility of landscape features changes with distance from the camera
Share your shot plan
Create a shot list by saving individual shots into a project. Each shot can include a reference link, an image, and shot notes.
Easily share your shot plans with friends and colleagues. Using web-based shot sharing you can:
- View shot in web browser
- Send via iMessage or email
- Add to calendar
- Share on Facebook
- Post to Twitter
- Export as KML for import into Google Earth™ or your favorite GPS app
Email individual shots, or entire projects. For each shot, a web link is provided, as well as links to open the shot directly in Photo Transit, or in The Photographer's Ephemeris.